The 1850 Nichols-Rice-Cherry House was originally located on Courthouse Square in downtown Houston. First inhabited by William Marsh Rice's business partner Ebenezer Nichols, and later by Rice himself, the Greek Revival house was relocated several times during its life as a residence. The last resident of the house was Emma Richardson Cherry, who moved the house to 608 Fargo Street in the Montrose area. Cherry, an artist and pioneer of arts education in Houston, lived and taught art in the home.
In 1959 the Nichols--Rice-Cherry house became the first historic building to be moved into Sam Houston Park. Elegant furnishings depict the lifestyle of William Marsh Rice, who was one of the wealthiest men in the city when he lived here. The house also includes a representation of Emma Richardson Cherry's studio, with many of her works and art supplies on display.