The 1868 San Felipe Cottage is an example of the vernacular architecture of Houston’s German population of the late 19th century. Originally located at 313 San Felipe Road (now West Dallas), the cottage was inhabited primarily by German immigrant families but also by immigrants from Switzerland, Ireland and England. Residents over the years included Houstonians who went on to serve as city fire chiefs, successful business owners, and city council members. Due to Texas property rights, the house passed through the hands of three different women who owned it themselves in the 19th century.
San Felipe Cottage was moved to Sam Houston Park in 1962. The house illustrates the cultural legacy of the German working class, one of the predominant cultural groups in Texas. The house includes several pieces of 19th-century Texas-made furniture.